LX-24 works with the WheatNet-IP Intelligent Network, utilizing BLADE interfaces, to access, control, and process any and all audio sources on the network. Through AES67, it's compatible with similarly equipped third party gear, providing functionality for your facility that is unequalled.
While it’s a feast for the eyes, its core design elements are what make Wheatstone’s LX-24 really stand out. For starters, it’s conceived for people who work in radio. Pull up a chair and you’ll feel right at home.
The LX-24’s totally modular design lets you configure it exactly as you like. And you can hot-swap any module at any time. There are no electronics in the pan below the modules – in the event one needs to be replaced, simply reassign the audio to another module and you’re up and running in seconds. Pop in a replacement module at your convenience. It’s that simple.
The LX-24 can be anywhere you need. It’s already part of the WheatNet-IP Intelligent Network – the IP88E Mix Engine BLADE provides audio mix functionality and can be anyplace on the network. Additional BLADEs can be added for inputs and outputs in a variety of digital and analog formats, and this I/O can be shared with other consoles and devices, such as AirAura and Aura8-IP, throughout the Intelligent Network. The LX-24 is an intelligent surface that can store and recall all your settings. It even remembers settings if you have to hot-swap a module. Snapshots of the LX-24’s configuration can be saved and recalled at the touch of a button, making setup for different shows or dayparts a snap.
The LX-24 modular control surface has a low-profile, table-top design that allows it to fit into almost any studio situation. The meterbridge features up to four sets of bright, high resolution LED meters, as well as circular LED displays for auxiliary send levels and pan control. A digital count-up/count-down timer is also included.
Each input channel can be assigned to four stereo busses, plus four pre/post-selectable aux sends, a stereo CUE bus, four mix-minuses and the panel’s own bus-minus. An LED source name display, an A/B source selector, and two programmable soft buttons are included and a SET button provides access to assignable controls in the master section.
Control room and headphone outputs with level control and source selection are provided, as well as two independent studio monitor outputs. Stereo CUE speakers are built into the meterbridge. Headphones and CUE are delivered to the surface right from the IP network, so there’s no tying up BLADE outputs for the headphone and cue audio.
On-board VGA and USB-Mouse connectors allow a monitor and mouse to be connected to the console for configuration and advanced console functions.
As with all Wheatstone products, the LX-24 is made in the USA at our New Bern, NC facility and is supported by Wheatstone on both sides of the country (and around the world).
It was time to raise the bar for radio consoles. Who better to do it than Wheatstone?
- Low-profile table-top design
- Meterbridge with up to four bright, high-res LED meter sets
- Each input channel features:
- Four stereo bus assigns
- Four pre/post-fader aux sends
- Four mix-minuses
- Source name display
- A/B source selector
- 2 programmable buttons
- EQ and Dynamics including
- 4-band parametric EQ,
- High- and Low-Pass filters,
- Compressor and Expander/Noise gate
- Control room and headphone outputs with level control and source selection
- Two independent studio outputs
- Stereo cue speakers and amplifier, built-into meterbridge
- Onboard VGA and USB-Mouse connectors
- Event storage (snapshots) and recall
- Mix Engine BLADE included
The LX-24’s design features stainless steel switchguards on the ON/OFF switches and long-life sealed contact switches that are LED illuminated. Its modular construction allows you to customize its layout and functionality. Every module is hot-swappable, meaning that there’s never any downtime if you need to add, change or replace one. Have as many input modules as you need. Want more programmable buttons? Just add another Accessory module. There are no electronics beneath the modules in the LX-24, so the likelihood of an accidental spill taking the board out is minimized. And there are several frame sizes to choose from to get the exact size you need.
...you can do with the LX-24 that you can’t do with consoles of conventional architecture
1. Assign any source of any type anywhere on your network to any fader
2. Hot-swap individual modules without powering down or disassembling
3. Take command of the console from anywhere that has network access with our Glass-E software
4. Use Wheatstone’s Automation Control Interface for bidirectional communication over
5. Sculpt and control your sound with Vorsis EQ and Dynamics
The LX-24 is a modular console design that accommodates up to 24 input channel faders.
All modules feature sealed-contact illuminated LED switches. ON/OFF switches have stainless steel guards.
- SET Button Assigns the channel strip for programming of pan, mix-minus assign, and input source on the master panels (control room and headphone) and for less frequently used controls (EQ, dynamics, logic and more).
- INPUT A/B Source Buttons Press to take or press and hold to program a source. This function can be locked out in the user access screen.
- Programmable SOFT 1 & 2 Buttons Can be programmed on the monitor display for a wide range of functionality. Typically used for hot source select, mode change, or EQ/filter/compression insertion.
- MODE Indicators Displays channel strip’s source mode
- MXM Tallies LEDs that indicate which mix-minus busses the source is feeding; assignment is set on the master section of the headphone panel.
- Bus ASSIGN Buttons Assigns the source to the console’s four output busses.
- SOURCE Display Displays the source currently assigned to the channel strip, or scrolls the available sources when changing input source.
- TB Button Interrupts the channel bus-minus output with talkback.
- CUE Assigns the source to the cue bus (pre-ON/OFF switch, pre-fader).
- FADER 100 mm long-throw professional fader.
- ON-OFF Turns the channel on and off.
This module is for Control Room monitor mix control and Source Selection for input channels, monitor mixes and switched meters.
- SEND 1 Level Control When an input channel is in SET mode, this knob controls the level of that channel into the SEND 1 mix. There is an associated LED indicator ring in the meterbridge to display this level. Pressing the knob turns the Send ON or OFF.
- STEP Button Steps through the channel MODEs (Mono, Left, Right, Stereo).
- SOURCE Selector 8-Character Display When an input, monitor, or switched meter is in SET mode, this display shows the available sources as the encoder is scrolled.
- SOURCE SELECT Encoder When an input, monitor, or switched meter is in SET mode, this encoder is used to scroll through the list of available sources. Once the encoder is turned, the TAKE button lights up. Holding the SET button down while turning this knob sets channel input gain.
- TAKE Button for Source Select When the desired source shows in the display, press to connect the source (times out after 20 seconds).
- CR/HDPN Monitor Source 8-Character Display Shows the active source for the control room and headphone monitor mix.
- EXT Button for Control Room/ Headphone Monitor A programmable “wild” source hot button for the control room and headphone monitor mixes. Press the EXT button to choose this wild source; press and hold to program the button.
- SET Button for Control Room/Headphone Source Selection Press to enter SET mode for the control room/headphone mix and select the desired source.
- SOURCE Selection Buttons Pressing one of these places a console output bus into the control room / headphone monitor mix. More than one bus can be selected, and all selected sources will be mixed together.
- FADER 100 mm long-throw professional fader sets the control room monitor mix level.
This Module is for Studio 1 control, MXM Talkback, and Event hot button select.
- SEND 3 Level Control When an input channel is in SET mode, this knob controls the level of that channel into the SEND 3 mix. There is an associated LED indicator ring in the meterbridge to display this level. Pressing the knob turns the Send ON or OFF.
- MXM Talkback Buttons Pressing a button momentarily sends the Talkback interrupt signal to the selected Mix Minus bus. Releasing the button removes the Talkback interrupt signal from the mix.
- Encoder to SELECT Event Rotate the encoder to select the desired event. Once the encoder is turned, the TAKE button lights up until it is pressed to select one of the events.
- TAKE Button for Event Selection Events (up to 99) are created and named.
- EVENT 8-Character Display Shows the last event taken, or the available events as the selector is scrolled. If no event is taken, times out after 20 seconds and reverts to showing the last event taken.
- PRESET Hot Buttons for Events 1, 2, 3, & 4 The first 4 saved events have a special status; they can be recalled by pressing one of these hot buttons. Press once and the button flashes, press a second time and the event is taken and the light goes out.
- EXT Button for Studio 1 Monitor A programmable “wild” source hot button for the Studio 1 monitor mix. Press the EXT button to choose this wild source; press and hold to program the button. The button remains lit while the wild source is feeding the mix.
- SET Button for Studio 1 Source Selection Press to enter SET mode for the Studio 1 mix and select the desired source.
- Studio 1 SOURCE Selection Buttons Pressing one of these selects a console output bus as the Studio 1 monitor source. The button stays lit to indicate the selection.
- TALKBACK Button for Studio 1 Press to momentarily send the Talkback interrupt signal to the Studio 1 monitor mix. Releasing the button removes the Talkback interrupt signal from the mix.
- STUDIO 1 Source 8-Character Display Shows the active source for the Studio 1 monitor mix.
- STUDIO 1 Level Control Sets the level of the Studio 1 monitor mix.
This Module is for Studio 2 control, Send Talkback, and Programmable Soft Buttons.
- SEND 4 Level Control When an input channel is in SET mode, this knob controls the level of that channel into the SEND 4 mix. There is an associated LED indicator ring in the meterbridge to display this level. Pressing the knob turns the Send ON or OFF.
- SEND Talkback Buttons Pressing a button momentarily sends the Talkback interrupt signal to the selected SEND bus. Releasing the button removes the Talkback interrupt signal from the mix.
- Programmable SOFT Buttons (12) Use these to control salvos, events, momentary connections, intercom and logic functions, etc.
- EXT Button for Studio 2 Monitor A programmable “wild” source hot button for the control room and headphone monitor mixes. Press the EXT button to choose this wild source; press and hold to program the button. The button remains lit while the wild source is feeding the Studio 2 mix.
- SET Button for Studio 2 Source Selection Press to enter SET mode for the Studio 2 mix and select the desired source. Studio 2
- SOURCE Selection Buttons Pressing one of these selects a console output bus as the Studio 2 monitor source. The button stays lit to indicate the selection.
- TALKBACK Button for Studio2 Press to momentarily send the Talkback interrupt signal to the Studio 2 monitor mix. Releasing the button removes the Talkback interrupt signal from the mix.
- STUDIO 2 Source 8-Character Display Shows the active source for the Studio 2 monitor mix.
- STUDIO 2 Level Control Sets the level for the Studio 2 monitor mix.
This module is for Headphone monitor mix level control, Cue level control, Mix-Minus assignment, and Timer control.
- SEND 2 Level Control When an input channel is in SET mode, this knob controls the level of that channel into the SEND 2 mix. There is an associated LED indicator ring in the meterbridge to display this level. Pressing the knob turns the Send ON or OFF.
- MXM ASSIGN Buttons When an input channel is in SET mode, these buttons are used to assign that fader channel into the Mix Minus busses. The buttons stay lit to show the assignment.
- PAN Control for Input Channels When a fader channel is in SET mode, this control is used to pan the audio left - right in the stereo program busses. There is an associated LED indicator array in the meterbridge.
- SET Control for Switched METERS
- When pressed, places the switched meters into SET mode for source selection (available sources determined by visibility settings during setup).
- CUE Level Control Stereo level control for the meterbridge cue speakers.
- TIMER Controls Auto-restart, Start/Stop, Hold, and Restart. Auto-restart will stay lit when selected and allows VDIP selected input channels to restart the timer when turned ON. The UP arrow button is used to set the starting time for a countdown. The DOWN arrow button sets the timer to countdown mode.
- FADER 100 mm long-throw professional fader sets the headphone monitor mix level.
The all-new OLED Switch Panel is available for the LX-24, the L-8 and the L-12. Each button has a high-resolution OLED screen that can easily be customized to indicate its function. The buttons are programmable to handle anything you can script.
There are two different versions of the ACCESSORY module:
The first version has switches whose terminals and LED indicators are brought out to a console frame external connector.
The other version has the same switches, but these are connected to a GPC-1 control card so they can be user programmed in scripts. There is no surface software interaction with either version of this panel.
LX-24 Buzz from Some Pretty Heavy Hitters in Radio
Michael Cooney, Vice President of Engineering & CTO, Beasley Broadcast Group, Inc.
“A high performance, reasonably priced, great looking console integrating common sense features such as overload indicators for meters and ergonomic controls. Very impressive and well thought out.”
Benjamin Brinitzer, Regional VP Engineering Clear Channel Media & Entertainment
Rick Hunt, Vice President & Director of Radio Engineering, Entravision Communications Corporation
“I am very impressed with the sleek new design that incorporates single channel-strip architecture, integrated metering and stereo cue speakers in a thin, sloping chassis that needs no cabinetry cut out. Well done.”
Erik Kuhlmann, Senior Vice President of Engineering, Clear Channel Media + Entertainment
Kris Rodts, Director of Engineering, IT & Facilities, CKUA Radio Network
“The LX caught my attention on the NAB Show floor. The look, form and function are unlike any other IP console available today. The easy-to-read buttons and displays are just second to none, not to mention the most bang for the buck. I can’t wait ‘til I have the opportunity to deploy my first LX.”
Anthony A. Gervasi, Jr., Sr. Vice President Engineering & Technology, Nassau Broadcasting
“Cool and sexy (I sound like Bruno from Dancing with the Stars). A great addition to the WheatNet-IP family.”
Norman Philips, Vice President of Engineering, Townsquare Media
“Considering the LX-24’s attractive good looks, modularity, traditional console layout and functionality, I can’t wait to get my hands on one!”
Greg Landgraf, Senior Engineering Manager, Corus Radio Western Canada
Tim Schwieger, President / CEO, BSW- Broadcast Supply Worldwide
“Wheatstone’s innovation continues to make AoIP a viable product for professional broadcasting facilities. Just a few things that make the LX-24 stand out to me are the clear and decisive metering, individual fader modules, and “out of the box” thinking with faders for the headphone and monitor volume controls instead of rotary knobs.”
Phillip Vaughan, Chief Engineer KFROG, CBS Radio
“Wheatstone continues to hit balls out of the park and this year they did so again with the LX-24 control surface. This new product marries the best of the old (modular design architecture) with the new (Audio-over-IP). Continuing in that theme was a Wheatstone module that marries their bridge router system to the new “BLADE” audio-over-IP system. This has the potential to extend the life of bridge router facilities indefinitely.”
W.C. Alexander, CPBE, AMD, DRB, Director of Engineering, Crawford Broadcasting Company
INPUT SCREEN and OPTIONS TAB
Displays the source mode and panning configurations for each input channel.
Essentially, this is your preferences screen. You can set options for studio mutes, studio tallies, bus-minus settings, offline mix and more.
EQ & DYNAMICS
- 4-BAND PARAMETRIC EQUALIZER with top and bottom bands switchable peak/shelf; the display shows the resulting curve.
- HIGH- AND LOW-PASS FILTERS - 24db/octave, adjustable frequency 16-500Hz and 1-20kHz.
- SOFT-KNEE COMPRESSOR with adjustable threshold, ratio, attack, release, makeup level.
- EXPANDER/NOISE GATE with adjustable threshold, ratio, depth, and time constants.
LX-24 Split Frame Counter Mount
This split frame LX-24 control surface arrived in Amsterdam in two pods, six modules on each side. With all the console action off to the side, announcers can work the show from their keyboard, monitor and mouse in the middle. There's no need for a backplane for the modules, and the motherboard is conveniently mounted under the table.
We know that headphone jacks are seldom located where you need them to be, so every LX-24 comes with this handy pigtail and heavy-duty flange with a TRS jack. Just plug it into the board and mount the brushed steel flange where you need it (such as under your desk, as pictured above). Voila! Your headphone jack is exactly where you want it.
PSE-2 Power Supply
LX-24 modules are 14" long x 1.5" wide.
Standard LX-24 frames accommodate from 17 to 33 modules depending on the frame size.
All LX-24 frames are 1.9" (5 cm) high at the front, 5" (13 cm) high at the rear, and 19.7" (50 cm) from front to back.
The above dimensions are based on counter-top mounting; the LX-24 can optionally be dropped into a counter cut-out which will lower the above counter height by .75" (2 cm).
STANDARD FRAME WIDTHS:
panels - frame width - optional counter cut-out
17 - 28" (71cm) - 26-1/8" x 16-1/8" (66 x 41 cm)
23 - 37" (94 cm - 35-1/8" x 16-1/8" (89 x 41 cm)
27 - 43" (109 cm) - 41-1/8" x 16-1/8" (105 x 41 cm)
29 - 46" (117 cm) - 44-1/8" x 16-1/8" (112 x 41 cm)
33 - 52" (132 cm) - 50-1/8" x 16-1/8" (127 x 41 cm)
Monitor - VGA DB-15
Ethernet - RJ-45
Mouse - USB
Headphone - 3-pin (for use with supplied remote headphone jack bracket)
Power - Two 2-pin high power d-sub for redundant power supplies
INCLUDED WITH CONSOLE
Every LX-24 console comes complete with frame, meterbridge with meters and CUE speakers (meter complement is dependent on frame size), SEND/PAN/TIMER display, a set of 4 monitor modules, one PSE-2 power supply and cable, headphone jack bracket with cable, documentation, and number of input modules as ordered.